Band Members, Parents, Community Members...Looking for Band Links and Resources? Well, here you go!
Disclaimer to keep the lawyers in a good mood! The links on this page connect to third-party material that the Canyon High School Band Boosters nor The Canyon ISD is responsible for. Please use with discretion.
If you would like us to add a link or resource, send that information to D'Edra Jefferson at
- National Association for Music Education - SUPPORT MUSIC: MAKE YOUR CASE
- The Canyon High, Junior High and Intermediate Schools are blessed to have a strong school administration and school board that realize the importance of music education and the difference it can make in the life of a child. Music and the Fine Arts add to, and enhance the traditional academic subjects such as math, language and reading. Unfortunately, during this time of economic stress, Music and the Fine Arts are the first programs to be cut. Check out the NAfME Web Site for Support Music materials, facts, stats, and research that proves that MUSIC IS IMPORTANT in the education of our children!
- US Scholastic Band Association - MUSIC ADVOCACY
- The USSBA's Music Advocacy Web page links music educators and school administrators to resources that could be crucial to help keep music in their schools.
Band and Marching Band Links:
- Marching Band 101 from WikiPedia.Org
- Helps answer the question, "What has my child gotten into with this band thing?" Also, answers that age-old question, "What is a roll step?"
- A Brief History of Marching Bands
- In 1907, the first formation on a football field was the "Block P" created by Paul Spotts Emrick, director of the Purdue All-American Marching Band. Spotts had seen a flock of birds fly in a "V" formation and decided that a band could replicate the action in the form of show formations. The first halftime show by a marching band at a football game was done by the University of Illinois Marching Illini also in 1907 at a game against the University of Chicago.
- Texas Bands: Band is just BETTER in Texas!
- Our mission is simple: provide a free, completely user supported website to support all the incredible band programs across the state of Texas! With resources for students, directors, and fans, txbands.com has everything you need!
- Texas Music Educators Association
- TMEA is an organization of over 10,000 school music educators dedicated to promoting excellence in music education. TMEA comprises five divisions: Band, Orchestra, Vocal, Elementary and College. TMEA leaders carefully monitor the actions of all state decision-making bodies on issues affecting fine arts instruction.
- Drum Corps International: Marching Music's Major League
- From modest beginnings more than three decades ago, Drum Corps International (DCI) has developed into a powerful, nonprofit, global youth activity with far-reaching artistic, educational and organizational influence.
- Bands of America (BOA), a program of Music for All, Inc.
- Music for All’s mission is to create, provide and expand positively life-changing experiences through music for all. MFA believes that music and arts education is a core to students’ education and must be available to all students. MFA also sponsors Honor Band of America, provides marching contest evaluation criteria, and they sponsor the Patrick John Hughes Parent/Booster Award.
- SmartMusic for Band , Orchestra and Voice
- SmartMusic is award-winning interactive music software that provides the ideal practice environment. With a subscription to SmartMusic, students have unlimited access to the world’s largest accompaniment library for all ages and skill levels, which includes thousands of pieces of music. PLEASE contact Mr. Sheffield BEFORE purchasing this product. It is a yearly subscription for $36.00, but Mr. S has the inside track to bulk discounts!
- FJH Music Company
- The FJH Music Company is pleased to present new concert band publications for 2011– 2012. We have taken great care to offer a variety of works for all your programming needs, and you will find everything from festival selections to marches, holiday and novelty pieces.
- MusicNotes - Sheet Music
- Sheet Music and Guitar Tab Downloads for nearly 190,000 Pieces. Over 260,000 Music Books. Sorted by Woodwinds, Brass, Guitar, Piano, etc. Thinking about that Solo or Ensemble?
- 8Notes Music Theory On-Line
- Welcome to the 8notes.com Music Theory. We currently have 46 Lessons introducing you to the most important concepts of music theory. Interactive on-line training. It is a nice refresher for those of us who haven't been in a school music program since the...ahem...1980's
- NoteFlight Online Music Composition Software
- Got an itch to write your own music for your instrument? Noteflight® is an online music writing application that lets you create, view, print and hear music notation with professional quality, right in your web browser. Work on a score from any computer on the Internet, share with other users, or embed into your own pages. Sign up for a free account!
Just for FUN!!:
There are other iPod/iPhone apps to help the marching student calculate marching steps (Mid Set) and several Music Theory apps. Search iTunes for "marching band" or "music education."
- Just Practice! - Free Music Practice Software for iPod/iPhone
- A Practice Log for Musicians based on the premise "Plan your Practice, and Practice your Plan". Create a list of pieces with goals for the week. Each practice session is logged, as well as your notes for the session. A metronome is included, which also remembers your last setting for each piece. Record yourself for critical appraisal by fellow musicians or your directors.
- iBone the Pocket Trombone for iPod/iPhone
- It's the Trombone for your iPhone or iPod Touch. Play it anywhere. Waiting for the bus? Work a little slow? Friend to impress? Simply itching to learn? Whip out your iBone. Practice and learn scales and songs. Even play-a-long with music from your iPod library -- accompany the lead, or take the solo spot. Don't have a clue? Play-a-long with a tune from the iBone Songbook and let roboBone show you the way.
- Pocket Drums for iPod/iPhone
- The MOST features of any drum app, including 23 high-quality stereo drum kits, multi-track recording, 3 dozen unique drum loops to play along to, variable pitch control, drum rolls, double bass drumming, play to your favorite iPod music from within Pocket Drums, variable metronome with over a dozen unique sounds, 4 different drum layouts, and much more!
- Circle Theory for iPod/iPhone
- Circle Theory is a Circle Of Fifths (sometimes known as a Circle Of Fourths). The Circle Of Fifths is a tool for musicians to assist them in seeing the relationship between notes, provide key signatures for both major and minor scales, assists in transposing between keys, and it also has a helpful guide to figure out note intervals per musical mode. An iPad VGA adapter can be used to view the circle on an external screen or projector.
- Steinway Metronome for iPod/iPhone
- Steinway & Sons, maker of the world’s finest pianos for more than 150 years and a name that is synonymous with excellence in music, has created a full-featured digital metronome for the 21st century musician. Whether you’re a performing artist, music teacher, or music student, this app ensures that you have a fully functional metronome wherever you go. With Steinway's Metronome, you can dial in the tempo of the piece you're practicing, or just tap along to let the app find it. Customize the time signature, visual indicator, and sound options to your own preferences. You can even change the app's interface based on your personal taste – or to match the wood finish of your instrument. Best of all, it's free!